Saturday, July 11, 2020

Cost Benefit Analysis

Remember a couple of days ago when I was talking about my ambivalence regarding returning to school? And all the voices that I heard echoing my concerns for the safety of students and staff? Well, you'll never guess who comes down hard on the other side of that fence.
"I disagree with @CDCgov on their very tough & expensive guidelines for opening schools. While they want them open, they are asking schools to do very impractical things. I will be meeting with them!!!"
Okay. The three exclamation points were probably a giveaway. At least the "president" refrained from his usual presentation of all capital letters. Subtle, but it does convey his major worries. "Tough and expensive guidelines." The Center for Disease Control, which is responsible for our nation's response to things like a global plague, said they are “prepared to work with every school district” to create a safe reopening this fall for students amid the coronavirus pandemic. Their recommendations include such items as increased cleaning, protective gear, and regular testing for all those involved. Social distancing and masks will be the cornerstone of any in-person instruction. 
As someone who regularly ties the shoes of my young charges or is on the receiving end of hugs from kids whose joy bucket is full and overflowing, I wonder just how we will all adjust to six feet of defensible space. I wonder how six year olds will cope with a mask covering their mouths and noses, where so much goes in an out every day. 
To be clear: I am nervous about schools opening too soon, but I am not afraid. I believe that I have the support of my community and will do whatever I can to get our children back to school. It is where they belong. It is where I belong. But the lesson I return to over and over again was the one they taught us the first day in teacher school: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. That's the one where we need to make sure that kids have a safe place to learn first, before we ever start with the reading, writing and jumping jacks. I should also note here that there is a strong argument made by many psychologists about the pain and stress kids are experiencing as a result of all the isolation. Couple that with questions about how parents will cope with a new reality that may continue to ask them to be part of their child's daily school routine. A potentially very big part. 
Confusing, tough, and almost certainly expensive, but this still doesn't answer the question raised by the "president's" disagreement: What is the correct cost to put on the future of our children? The "president" has even suggested that he would withhold federal funds for schools that don't open as he says. Of course, it is quite possible that Trump's Hierarchy of Needs looks just a little different from Maslow's. His is a lot more like Yertle the Turtle. Of course, it might be interesting to note that Melania's son attends Saint Andrew's Episcopal School, where plans are still being solidified for the upcoming year, including concerns for the health and safety for all who attend. No mention about the price tag on those plans. That doesn't seem to be an issue. 

No comments: