Monday, January 14, 2019

How Much Do You Really Want To Know?

I confess that I am tempted by the occasional click-bait story, though once I see the "sponsored" heading at the top, I shy away because I don't want to have to wade through all the possible pop-up and drop down distractions that accompany such curiosity. That restraint has recently been tested when I read this headline: Groom Reads Bride's Affair Texts Instead Of Vows. And this wouldn't have been quite as intriguing, even though it was, if I hadn't seen a very similar headline just the day before: Bride Reads Groom's Affair Texts Instead Of Vows.
So my mind was confronted by this question: Really? Had this event occurred somewhat coincidentally to both a bride and a groom? Is there some geographical link? Maybe a family that shares some of the same commitment issues? What other sociopolitical links might exist?
Because here's the deal: Weddings do not tend to be cheap affairs done on the sly. They are lavish events that involve the efforts and attention of dozens if not hundreds of individuals. Which may explain why, rather than simply calling off the whole soiree, the bride or groom might be tempted to go through with the charade if only to have the thrill of pulling off some sort of viral social media scene that would be talked about for years.
Or end up as text bait on Yahoo.
This is the part where I start to wonder what sort of characters we are dealing with. When confronted by the news that your perspective mate is cheating on you, would you feel crushed or humiliated? Certainly. Would you then set about on some lavish stunt to publicly embarrass your fiancee on the day that would have marked the first day of the rest of your lives together? Which in turn makes me wonder who else was in on the stunt. The Best Man? The Maid of Honor? Mom? Dad? Would it still be a funny story if Uncle Jack had a stroke as a result of the big reveal or the fistfight that broke out in the pews of the First Methodist?
So I have decided that I am just fine with the distance I maintain between these folks and myself. By not clicking on either of these stories, I can stay in the dark. I don't want to know the details. Except maybe one thing: Is this the same couple doing a mutual expose of their infidelities? So many questions. So few answers.
Which is fine with me.

No comments: