Thursday, August 22, 2013

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That - Really

I love my son, but I can't help but feel that ever since he became a teenager that there has been a distance between us. It may have been an issue with his, well, attractions. When he was a little boy he seemed to have all the same interests I had. Mostly because I gave them to him. And then there was that seemingly innocent infatuation with trains.
To make a long story short, I started becoming suspicious of how my son was spending his leisure time when I started finding little telltale clues around the house, and checking up on some of his Internet habits. You think you know a kid, and it turns out that he's "one of them," a cat video fancier. Don't get me wrong, I will always love my son, but I'm not sure how I feel about him living under our roof. I know, I've heard all those people who insist that watching cat videos isn't a choice, that it's somehow programmed into your DNA, but nobody from my family ever had a problem with cat videos. It's probably all those times he spent hanging around with those kids across the street. "Oh, look at that kitty! Isn't it cute?" Youthful experimentation. Curiosity. But we've always been a dog family. I'm so ashamed.
If only there were some sort of therapy, or treatment that could help get him back on the right path. As a parent, I'm just worried that these choices he's making as a young man could hurt his chances to be a responsible member of society.
It really does sound ridiculous, doesn't it? That's why I'm so happy to hear that New Jersey governor Chris Christie just signed in to law a bill that prevents therapists from offering the "service" of changing teens' sexual orientation. It's likely that, like his fellow governor Jerry Brown from the Golden State, this statute will be tested in the courts, but at least someone is willing to say what the medical profession has been saying for several years. It's a bad idea, and now in at least two states, it's against the law. Exodus International, once a leader in the practice of "reparation therapy," has gone out of the business of "fixing" young gay men and women. And they apologized.
Now we're waiting for the same from Michelle Bachmann.

1 comment:

Kristen Caven said...

Really did not see where that one was going.... and was so surprised to see where it ended up! Chris Christie is such a mys'try.