Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Post No Bills

Lately I've been mourning the passing of Saturday mail delivery. I know it hasn't happened yet, but it makes me sad to think that I won't be able to meander out to the mailbox sometime after noon to peek inside to see what communications have arrived from the outside world. Now that my son has figured out the joy of bringing in the mail, Saturday is one of the few days I get that chance. Thanks, global recession.
But what is it that I find on any given day when I flip through the day's correspondence? We don't get many bills anymore. Those are now dealt with electronically. Bank statement? Same deal. What is it that necessitates a trip to the front gate and back every day except Sunday? Honestly, it's a lot of advertisements. Some of them are solicited. Some of them are not. Today was a good example. There was an envelope that was pleading for "A Minute For Peace." I knew why we were getting it. Once upon a time, my wife and I donated money to an organization that wanted to stop all the wars. That seemed like a pretty good idea, so we joined up. Then, once they had us as "sustaining members," they started asking for more money. That's how fundraising works. The same thing happened when we sent a check to the local food bank. Apparently there are still some hungry people that we didn't manage to feed with the money that we sent them. Again, I understand the need to keep asking, and I like getting those requests in the mail a million times more than when they call on the phone. At dinner time.
Then there are the ever-present solicitations for new credit cards. These get my special treatment. Once I have removed the portion of the letter that contains any personal information or my address, I stuff the rest of their advertisements back into the envelope and send it right back to them. Thanks, postage paid!
Every so often, there is an actual letter or card addressed to someone who isn't a Resident or Occupant. Those are sweet. It makes the trip back up the stairs from the mailbox just a little livelier. And if we're really lucky, some satisfied client will send my wife a check for her design work. It's like getting paid to pick up the mail.
So, until all of our mail becomes electronic, I will savor those little Saturday sojourns out the front gate.

No comments: