Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Regrets, I've Had A Few

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.

"I regret that that sign was there," Pinhead said, referring to a huge "Mission Accomplished" banner on a U.S. aircraft carrier in 2003, six weeks after the invasion of Iraq.

My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

The White House has always maintained that the sign referred to the sailors and pilots on board the USS Lincoln, who were returning home from their tour in the Middle East. Pinhead repeated that explanation Tuesday, saying that "it was a sign aimed at the sailors on that ship."
"However, it conveyed a broader knowledge," he said. "To some it said, 'well, Bush thinks the war in Iraq is over,' when I didn't think that. But nevertheless it conveyed the wrong message."

For what is a man, what has he got?

Pinhead also said he regrets having said he did not care whether al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was captured "dead or alive," and wished he had not said of terrorists, "bring 'em on."

If not himself, then he has naught.

"My wife reminded me that, hey, as president of the United States you better be careful of what you say. I was trying to convey a message. I probably could have conveyed it more artfully," he said.

To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.

"I cannot tell you what an inspiring experience it's been to be the president of this country because we're a nation full of generous, courageous, decent people," he said.

The record shows I took the blows
-And did it my way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't think he could have said it more artfully, nor realized if he had, in spite of himself.