Saturday, April 21, 2018

Confession

I am not a lawyer. Nor do I play one on TV. I do not have a lawyer on retainer. Nor do I play someone who has a lawyer on retainer on TV. I do not have a TV lawyer on retainer. Nor do play someone on TV who has a lawyer on retainer.
I have traveled a path in life that has kept me relatively free of the need for such interactions, on television or in real life. Consequently, I confess that my understanding of just exactly what is involved in these interactions is limited, at best. I have maintained, over the years, a number of close personal relationships with law enforcement officers. I closed a great many bars back in the day with members of that thin blue line, as well as attending a great many barbecues, football games and Jimmy Buffett concerts. This is why, when I have been called in for jury duty, I answer quickly and affirmatively when asked if I know anyone personally who is involved in law enforcement. There is another segment of questioning that, depending on the case, asks for connections to prosecution or defense attorneys. I can answer just as abruptly to the negative. Not hanging around with a lot of lawyers. Never have.
But if I did, I think it would be important to let the powers that be know. Which brings me to mystery client number three in the Michael Cohen Sweepstakes: Sean Hannity"We have been friends a long time. I have sought legal advice from Michael." If Mister Hannity was a stockbroker or video store manager or sheriff's officer, this revelation might not come as such a rumble. But since Sean Hannity is the face and flame spitting font of Fox News, as well as chief apologist for our "President," making this sliver of intelligence known somewhere in the midst of all the rants about the raids on Mister Cohen's offices seems like it would have been good form. In all his haranguing about the unfairness of the way what turned out to be his lawyer was being treated did he mention that he happened to be his lawyer. Sean tried to play it down by suggesting that he may have tossed "ten bucks" at Cohen for some real estate advice, but he seemed to be missing the point. Fox News' senior judicial analyst, Andrew Napolitano had this to say: “I love him (Hannity) and, you know, I’ve worked with him for twenty years,” Napolitano said Tuesday. “He can’t have it both ways.” Back in the home office, however, Sean was getting the dreaded vote of confidence: “While FOX News was unaware of Sean Hannity’s informal relationship with Michael Cohen and was surprised by the announcement in court yesterday, we have reviewed the matter and spoken to Sean and he continues to have our full support,” a spokesperson for Fox News said in a statement on Tuesday. 
I can say that aside from all that lawyer stuff that I have never consorted with any employees at Fox News. And that's the kind of confession that is good for the soul. 

No comments: