Thursday, September 18, 2014

Get Ready

The question my wife asked was, "Are you ready for your son to own a car?"
I didn't answer. I didn't really have words. Even though it has been a nearly constant topic of conversation in my house for months now, I cannot say whether or not I am ready. In philosophical terms, which of us is truly ready for anything?
I helped my wife prepare an earthquake kit. We have food and water for days, extra clothes and even a spare pair of glasses for each of us. Am I ready for an earthquake? No. I have studied math for most of my life. I have taught math in elementary school for almost two decades. Am I ready to take a test to prove that I am ready to teach math? Not yet.
Was I ready to move to California?
Was I ready to get married?
Was I ready to own a house, have a kid, start a career? No. No. No. This probably has more to do with what my understanding of "ready" is more than actually being unprepared. I have learned, over time, that I am very good at creating the impression of readiness. A certain amount of background knowledge and then answering questions with conviction goes a long, long way. There are a great many people who are convinced that I am a very confident and capable individual. By presenting myself in such a manner, I tend to have even more responsibility and challenge tossed my way. The reality is that I am scared to death of the holes in my acumen. And if you've ever had a hole in your acumen, I think you know how painful that can be.
Being ready for my son to own a car? I am only vaguely connected to the idea of him driving a car, let alone owning one. I still find myself looking up from the back seat and wondering who let this little boy get behind the wheel. Aren't there laws against that kind of thing? Actually, there are probably laws against not letting him behind the wheel. In some corners of the globe, it would be considered bad parenting not to let your child have access to the highways and byways as soon as practically possible.
Am I ready for him to own a car? I just got used to him crossing the street without reaching up for my hand. I just got used to splitting a large pizza with him. I just got used to him being in high school. Am I ready? He was born ready. I wasn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought his first car would be a train. Le sigh.

-CB