Saturday, December 28, 2013

Quitters Inc.

There aren't many people who have quit as often as Sarah Palin, but lately Justin Bieber is making a run at that distinction. Last week, he showed up on a Los Angeles radio show ostensibly to do an interview about his new album and movie. Then he dropped the bomb: "Um, I'm actually retiring, man," he told the surprised host. Was he following through on those thoughts he had a year ago, when he told the world, "I got to the point where I thought, 'I don't want to do this. I just want to be normal.' It was difficult because I'd never gone through anything like that. Usher was like, 'Prepare to have this for the rest of your career because it's not going to stop.' He's gone through some stuff and most artists go through their fair share of bull. That was just my first time." That feeling in the pit of your gut could be sympathy for the boy-child, or it could be the shrimp fajitas you had last night.
Which brings us collectively to Christmas Eve, the day before his concert film was set to open, and the Tweet he sent out. "My beloved beliebers I'm officially retiring." Half an hour later, he followed up with this one: "The media talks a lot about me.They make a up a lot of lies and want me to fail but I'm never leaving you, being a belieber is a lifestyle." Things were looking tough for the true "beliebers" out there, but two minutes later he returned to Twitter to tweet, "Be kind loving to each other, forgive each other as god forgave us through Christ Merry Christmas IM HERE FOREVER."
Forever? That last little mood swing lasted just a little longer than an episode of Hannah Montana. What sort of relationship is this guy trying to cultivate with his fans? Well, since he's a nineteen year old male, it would be a shock if commitment was at the core of any of his decisions, business or otherwise. At nineteen, I was still struggling with decisions like picking a new pair of speakers for my car. I wouldn't call myself any more or less emotionally mature than the Biebs, but at least the only emotions I was toying with were mine and the salesman at TEAM Electronics who really felt I needed the extra boost of the Jensen Triaxials.
Hey Justin, maybe you don't need to retire. Maybe you just need some decent speakers in your car.

No comments: