Saturday, March 31, 2012

Looking For A Change

Sometimes when I pass by a sign that says, "For Rent," I think about that real estate slogan that encourages me to think: "If I lived here, I would be home by now." The world is full of opportunities. Owning my own home in northern California isn't the reason I have this wandering eye. I look at other homes that have a "For Sale" sign in the front yard and try to imagine my life living one notch closer to the grocery store, or at the top of the hill. As Captain Hammer once so eloquently put it, "Your home is where your heart is, so your real home's in your chest."
Still, that doesn't keep me from looking. As much as I hate change, I like to imagine that moving would somehow better my lot, or at least invigorate it. That's why when I heard an ad on the radio the other day for a career opportunity, I listened closely. It wasn't a career in my currently chosen profession of teaching, but in retail sales: Tom Shane was hiring. I was assured that no previous experience with jewelery would be necessary, and that this was a terrific chance to better my lot. High pay? Exciting growth opportunities? A fun environment? Why wasn't I submitting my online application a that moment?
If you are currently shaking your head and wondering why a tenured teacher would simply drop everything and go rushing off to be a clerk for a chain of jewelery stores, maybe you're not familiar with Tom Shane. He's your friend in the diamond business. He spends a lot of time in Antwerp and Bangkok, two very funny sounding cities. And get this: he's a graduate from the University of Colorado. He's not just my friend in the diamond business, he's my alumni buddy. He'd have to give my resume a look. I ran a video store, after all.
Or maybe it's a week until Spring Break. I don't need a new home or career. I need a vacation.

1 comment:

RJB said...

How about a nice trip to the second floor of the Security Life Building, 16th and Glenarm.