Sunday, November 27, 2011

Where We Will Spend Most Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Welcome to the new century. I hope you've been enjoying yourself for the past decade or so. I've been busy trying to wrap my head around the way things are versus the way they should be. All of those science fiction books and comics and movies and what do we have to show for it? I can watch reruns of "Malcolm In The Middle" with the push of a button. Hallelujah.
Okay, maybe that's a little harsh. We're living in a world with electric cars, but just in case they have a gas tank too. And this is the future. The hydrogen fuel cells are still somewhere on the loading dock, waiting to be shipped, right? I can't even allow myself to start the flying car discussion, since they will need to be powered by banana peels. And the genetic engineering remains limited primarily to tomatoes and Republican Presidential candidates. I want the future, and I want it now!
Or maybe I'm glad we haven't found our way to a world where Morlocks lord over us weak and mild Eloi. We haven't been been loaded onto space arks and shipped off into space in hopes of finding a more habitable planet. Those snack crackers were probably made from plankton, not people, and though I know that Steve Jobs was keeping track of all the Olivia Newton John songs I downloaded, I am pretty sure that he is no longer aware of that stop sign I rode through on my bike last week.
Pretty sure.

No comments: