Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Tone Deaf

Forgive my late arrival to the discourse, but digital video recording allows me to generate opinions far past the window of prime time. In this case, I refer to the "Rocky Horror" episode of "Glee." I have plenty of friends and co-workers who are very enthusiastic about this musical-variety-comedy-drama that airs on Fox. I have seen bits and pieces of episodes, and thanks to their efforts, Kristin Chenoweth is no longer singularly responsible for the revival of musical theatre. Here is where I tell you that my wife is a huge fan of muscial theatre. And "Rocky Horror." And Kristin Chenoweth. That is shy I felt the need to set my DVR to record this very special episode.
When it was over, I held my tongue, because I did not want to trample on the feelings of my dear wife. We grew up as band geeks together, and this story of kids finding their way in the rough and tumble world of high school glee club seemed to be a fitting allegory to our youth. And they just got an award from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation for outstanding comedy series, so why didn't it seem particularly sensitive?
Initially, the performances of the songs seemed extremely faithful to those of the 1975 film. Then came the discussion among the faculty and kids, sorting out issues of the maturity of the subject matter, as well as casting the central character, Doctor Frank-N-Furter. The good doctor is, by is own admission, " a sweet transvestite," and though there were several odd feints at certain male characters taking on the role, including John "Uncle Jesse" Stamos, it went to Mercedes, played by Amber Riley. My wife said, "It's like 'what if Frank were played by Aretha Franklin?'" And that would be fine, given the grand tradition of casting against gender, from Shakespeare's time to Linda Hunt as Billy Kwan. Then they started messing with the lyrics. Why couldn't this character, appearing in a very special episode of a GLAAD award recipient show identify herself for the purposes of Rocky Horror as a "transvestite?"
The answer seemed plain enough to me: It's a show that is still being paid for by Rupert Murdoch. This point became all the more painfully apparent when, at the end of the episode, the Glee Club's director decided that "pushing the envelope" of what his kids should perform was asking too much of them at such a young age. So he had them stage it in an empty theatre. Where no one else could see it. Not unlike a closet.
Maybe I just don't get it, but for the record, neither did my wife.

No comments: