Thursday, January 01, 2009

You Say You Wanna Resolution?

What we want to happen on the first day of the new year is generally emblematic of what we will find ourselves doing the rest of the year. Each year that I begin by laying around inside the fort that we build in our living room seems like a victory. How could this be? I recently had a few moments to consider this, and I think I am beginning to understand it.
There was talk at dinner about making resolutions for the next year. Most of the promises being formed had to do with making higher expectations for commitment and productivity. There was some discussion about when to schedule meetings, and how to get more done by planning effectively. I listened to all of this with my traditional sarcastic ear, and chose to come up with my own resolution: "I want to spend more time in the coming year playing Freecell."
There were a few puzzled looks. "Frecell?"
"The solitaire game that comes loaded on most Windows machines? That or Minesweeper."
Those who were unfamiliar with my skewed world view looked at me for some additional sign.
"On second thought, maybe I'll just spend time watching other people play."
That let everyone else in on the cynical nature of my announcement. In reality, I spend a lot of time being productive, and I work hard to cut out the wasted moments. Therein lies the truth of my resolution. I would really like to make the time to build my skills on the Guitar Hero drum set, and find a way to sleep past seven on the mornings that I don't have to be at work. The fact that I am lounging around in our tent of bedsheets after ten o'clock gives me hope for 2009. I resolve to get back to work again soon, but right now the Gator Bowl is on. Where's that remote control?

No comments: