Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mint Condition

It is that time of year. As I was walking into my neighborhood grocery store this afternoon, a group of three pre-teen girls were laughing and teasing one another near the entrance. They stopped just in time to hear my most pressing concern: "Do you have any Thin Mints left?"
The laughter stopped. With appropriate solemnity, they looked up and said, "No." My heart sank as I reconciled my situation. The window for Girl Scout cookies was closing fast, and I knew that there were still a few options open to me, but I had let time get away from me, along with that most savory of treats, Girl Scout Thin Mints.
Over the years, friends of mine have pointed out to me that there are plenty of mint/chocolate confections available, and if I was completely set on having these particular cookies, I could use any of the readily available recipes to make my own. This would completely spoil the whole transaction for me. The bright green box and the two cellophane wrapped cylinders inside are part of the intrinsic joy. Everyone knows that each one of those cylinders contains approximately one serving.
Yes, I've got a problem, but back when there was a Girl Scout who lived right next door, it was manageable. I can still remember the look on her mother's face as I explained that I knew the difference between a "box" and a "case", and I would still be happy to buy a "case" of Thin Mints thank you very much. After that initial contact, she made her first stop every year. She earned her cookie badge each year just for walking up our driveway and ringing our doorbell.
But that was then, and this is now. The remaining boxes from last year's overindulgence have finally disappeared, and I am faced with another long year without that sacred snack.
I know that I can be strong. I know that over the next week or two, I might pass by another card table set up in front of a shopping mall, or some bright street corner, and just maybe a glimpse of the distinctive Kelly Green package that tells me "These girls have what I want." I've got my eyes wide open now.

No comments: