Friday, December 25, 2020

Poinsettia

 Poinsettia, oh my Poinsettia -

I hope that you forgive me my dear

I've had so very many other things

rolling 'round my head this year:

Black Lives Matter, a global pandemic,

Social justice and whose pronouns are whose,

On top of all that I've had to listen 

As Donald Trump continues to lose.

Poinsettia, oh my Poinsettia - 

with your lovely leaves of blazing red,

your name completely slipped my tired old mind

it has been so full of fear and dread

But now we can stop and give a pause

let's look forward now instead of back

let's remember things we put aside

take heart in things we have instead of lack.

Poinsettia, oh my Poinsettia - 

today we are as close as we can be

we stand face to face and heart to heart 

even though we know that it is best

to keep standing at least six feet apart

and wash our hands and wear our masks

I want you to to know on this I'll betcha

Next year I will not forget your name

Poinsettia, oh my Poinsettia. 

No comments: