Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I am grateful every day that I got married to a friend of mine. I had no idea that long ago in that meadow in the mountains that bit about "in sickness and in health" might include a global pandemic. Not that we're sick ourselves, but the rest of the planet is making it feel that way. A couple days back, whenever that was, I ran into my wife int he back room and suggested that maybe this would be a dry run for the way things will be once I retire. To my great relief, this suggestion did not elicit eye rolling or great sighs. This current experiment makes this lifestyle seem viable.
Without so many rubber gloves and face masks.
And social distance.
Around here, the discussion has been about that phrase. My wife is in favor of substituting "physical" for "social." A reminder that we all have a personal space that is permeable by those closest to us, but there are times and places where six feet is just about right. The current situation reminds me of all the uncomfortable situations I have been in where I have willingly sacrificed concern for my personal space to get a better spot in front of the stage, or closer to the rope that drops when Disneyland opens. Americans aren't really good at queuing up. This is most apparent on Black Friday, when zombie hordes seeking deals on brains and widescreen TVs pour through doors in a flood more reminiscent of fluid than human beings. We have become somewhat accepting of stories about deaths associated with our need to find a bargain. Or a really good seat to see the Who.
A couple stories I have read this week remind me of just how dim our society can be. An elderly patient with dementia stumbled into an emergency room and began to grab onto others, one of whom became frightened and enraged and pushed the woman to the floor. She hit her head and died three hours later. Not clear about whether this is considered a COVID-19 related death.
Meanwhile in Chicago, a ceasefire cannot be negotiated. During March, half of which was covered by a shelter in place order, there were more shootings in the Windy City this year than last. The first weekend in April saw two killed and eighteen wounded by gun violence. Hospitals have had to deal with trauma on two fronts: virus and guns.
It's not impossible to reckon on the reason for an increase in violence as stress compounds on top of the already stressed. A breaking point will come when shortages combine with poverty and fear of the unknown grows exponentially.
Which is why I'm happy to be here, inside with my wife, where we mostly fuss at one another about what's going to be on the television for hours at a time. Sickness indeed.

No comments: