Saturday, September 07, 2013

The Wait

I was that kid who stood for hours on line waiting to buy my ticket in the summer of 1977 to see "Star Wars." I kept going back, as the film played through into the fall, until the snow began to fly. I waited in an even longer line when the Empire struck back. This time I went down to Denver with my family to see the sequel on the biggest screen in the Mountain Time Zone. By the time the Jedi returned, there were multiple theaters showing the third film, making the wait less than half an hour. At this point, I was well into my college years, and finding time to stand around seemed unnecessary unless I had a beer in my hand.
Sixteen years passed. I was cajoled back into my youth by a friend who had a similar fixation on George Lucas' saga. We sat in front of a multiplex on the cool concrete, having forgotten the lessons of the past, without the aid of any sort of cushion or comfort. We waited again for the story to begin again: The Phantom Menace. I will tell you that I watched closely, once we were admitted into the theater and the story began to unspool, but I never fully understood what was so phantom about that particular menace. It made me tired, staring at all the digital effects layered upon digital acting. At this point, I had this thought: I can't wait for this to be over.
There were two more films released in the prequel sequels. I did not line up for them. My son got out of school early on the day the Sith got their revenge. It was a very satisfying time for that eight-year-old. I caught it later, but not so much later that there could have been any surprises leaked. But there were no surprises. Having spent all those years in the late seventies and early eighties consumed in my fandom, reading all associated reports and additional fiction, there wasn't much left of the story of whence the Skywalker clan began. I felt that George Lucas had waited too long.
Now, Star Wars is part of the landscape of pop culture. It's another Disney E-coupon attraction, and all attempts are being made to generate the kind of excitement that existed back in 1977. I can remember the physical pain I felt when the credits began to roll on "The Empire Strikes Back." The idea that I would have to wait three years to find out if Darth Vader really was Luke's father seemed like a torture that no man or Wookie should have to endure. Now, planned release dates hang out there for years, waiting for tentpole blockbusters to land on them. The next reboot of the franchise that just finished making its kerjillionth dollar is already in pre-production. What was once special is now commonplace. Spectacular 3D Imax Surround Dolby THX commonplace.
All of this to say that Dark Horse Comics is releasing a limited series comic based on George Lucas' original screenplay for "Star Wars." I would line up for it, but I can probably get it online cheaper.

1 comment:

RJB said...

"What was once special is now commonplace. Spectacular 3D Imax Surround Dolby THX commonplace." This is so sad to me.