Monday, March 01, 2010

This Blog Is Dolphin Safe

StarKist doesn't want tuna with good taste. StarKist wants tuna that tastes good. Sorry Charlie. As for me, I don't know how I taste, but I do walk the line of good taste. Or at least I try to. Doing my best to remain politically correct while pointing out the foibles and hypocrisies of my home planet can sometimes be a dicey proposition.
Take Sarah Palin's recent issue with the "R" word. So many different clever things came to mind when I first read of her outrage with an animated TV show. Chief among them was her blank indifference to the fact that the network that aired the offending episode is owned by the same corporation that is currently writing her nice, big checks. Maybe that's what makes her a maverick. I don't know. What I do know is that since I have never been a big fan of "Family Guy" primarily because it seems to exist for the sole purpose of pushing buttons, I didn't feel free to comment. As I just have. But not on the matter of taste. I have no issue with someone who puts themselves in the spotlight being ridiculed. That's part of the game. I'm not a big fan of innocent bystanders.
That's why there's not a lot of Haiti humor making the rounds out there. Taking a big swipe at God's little elf, Pat Robertson for opening his mouth to explain how the Haitians somehow deserved to have their country leveled is completely permissible and encouraged. Maybe Gilbert Gottfried might feel free to explore the comedic possibilities of earthquakes, orca whale attacks, or George Lucas, but you won't find it here.
Maybe it comes from my deep-seated need to be loved. Maybe I've got good taste. Or maybe I'm chicken. Chicken of the sea.

1 comment:

123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.